Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vasaloppet!





For the last week or so, one of the biggest ski races in the world has been happening here in little Mora, the Vasaloppet. The events began last week with an opening ceremony complete with live folk music. We can now add the prime minister's wife to our list of important people we have rubbed elbows with as she gave a speech at the opening ceremony.

After a trip to the Vasaloppet museum yesterday, I learned that about 500,000 skiers from all over the world compete in the various races throughout the week. The events will conclude this Sunday with the 90 kilometer race. (Don't worry, though I thought about it, I thought it best for everyone that I do not enter...) We are hoping to travel to the starting line to see thousands of skiers begin. Apparently, it's quite a sight. The only problem is that evidently the buses which run there only go one way. Hmmmmm, hopefully we will find a way around that...

Class continues to occur daily. Mora feels more like Gustavus than any other place has. I wake up in the morning and go to breakfast in the cafeteria and then spend several hours in class, just like home. In fact, I am writing this post when I really should be working on the research paper which is due tomorrow. Procrastination. Some things really don't change. Even from 4,000 miles away.

I feel like time passing is a common theme I often blog about. It constantly blows my mind. Today marks week 3 of being in Mora. A week from Saturday we will once again pack up this place which has become home and travel on down to Uppsala. Then to Stockholm and then Spring Break. (I ordered my plane tickets to London yesterday!) I got an email from my parents this week that they have put deposits down on plane and hotel reservations and will officially be joining me in Jönköping for Easter and I am so excited!

The weather is beautiful and the sun stays up until about 6pm! I now usually only wear a fleece when walking around outside and my hat quickly feels too warm on my head. The sun is bright and warm and incredible. Quite a change from when we arrived in Umeå and it got dark at about 2:30. Umeå. Though the trip is speeding by before my eyes, still how long ago that feels- was it really only about 5 weeks ago? the market was a month ago, and let me tell you, that does not feel real at all.

1 comment:

  1. Getting to the start is possible if you are willing to get up at 4 a.m. (and ride with someone) or get to Sälen the day before the race, but then you might be stuck there for the rest of the day of the race. It would be a lonely place; skiers are on their way to Mora where most of the spectators will be waiting for them to arrive. The first ones should arrive between 11 and 12 (snow conditions will determine the speed). I'd recommend watching the start on TV and then go downtown around 11.

    ReplyDelete