Sunday, January 30, 2011

And So It Begins!



We have been feeling the growing anticipation of the winter market approaching, and it has now finally begun. Tonight marked the opening of the historic market and the more touristy part begins on Thursday. We gathered in the center of town for a "candlelight" procession, however, when we got there we discovered that the candles were in fact large torches making some of us feel like we were about to go plunder a village...We all felt as if we were going back in time several hundred years. I felt like I was planted right down in the middle of some Norse folklore. We walked together through town, finally ending in the forest, where a church had been constructed entirely out of ice and snow. The candlelit service which followed was so beautiful.Though my Swedish still is not good enough that I was able to understand the entire sermon, I am told that it was about tradition and how proud the people of Jokkmokk are that this market has taken place for so many years. The schedule of upcoming events for the week looks so incredible, and I'm not sure how I will be able to fit everything in. I don't want to miss anything. Tomorrow we will meet in the morning for our usual breakfast and then we will have some time to explore before we meet again and begin our official sessions together.

No comments:

Post a Comment